I toyed with the idea of calling this post "Some Summer Essentials", but "essentials" somehow felt a bit too dramatic to me, as really the only thing that comes close to qualifying as a true essential for getting through summer in Texas is a place to swim (thankfully we have that covered this year) and access to a rockin' AC...
But (while not technically essentials), there are a few things that are making me a lot happier this summer, so I thought it would be fun to share them with you guys. Here goes.
- Loads of Reading Material -- For me, summer is the season of reading. Usually I skew toward light stuff during the hot months (a groaning stack of decor magazines, Bossypants), but in an attempt to stay honest to my "get smart" resolution from back in January, I just subscribed to Newsweek (I love that Tina Brown) and Vanity Fair (it boasts lots of smart, detailed articles in between the all the froth). I also just started Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad and can't put it down.
- Trish McEvoy Lipgloss in (I'm cringing as I write this) "sexy" -- A really excellent shimmery nude lipgloss... + it stays on forever and isn't sticky (not an easy feat).
- Iced Green Tea -- I have no particular brand allegiance, but I just picked up the green & white tea from Stash at Whole Foods, and I'm quickly becoming hooked. It's just more mellow than standard green tea. I make a big pitcher to keep in the fridge every few days.
- Limes -- In everything...sparkling water, plain water, beer, gin and tonics (ideally with extra lime). I buy an embarrassing amount of limes at the store each week. I'm pretty certain that the check-out guy thinks I'm crazy.
- A Summer Bag -- I like to carry a bag in the summer that can withstand our increased mayhem... I've been going back-and-forth between my L.L. Bean hunter's tote bag and my newly acquired Proud Mary diamante tote.
- One Love Organics Multi-Balm -- I'm a little bit addicted to this magical stuff. I use it on my legs, under my eyes, on the girlie's cheeks, on wispy flyaways, on our feet. It's amazing...truly.
- Jo Malone Sweet Lime and Cedar Body Oil -- (Again with the lime.) This is my summer go-to in lieu of perfume, as covers fragrance and moisturizer in one step. It also gives a little sheen (but not shimmer), which is nice.
- Solar Recover -- Being in the pool/sun as much as we are has resulted in some crazy dry skin, so we are literally blowing through this stuff. I keep it in the fridge and just spray the whole family down after our baths. Plus it's got this groovy kind of hippie vibe going on, which I'm pretty partial to.
- Elizabeth Dehn Face Spray -- Michelle sent this my way a while back, and I'm using it all the time. It's just really lovely and refreshing and makes my face look all happy and glowy (as opposed to sweaty and sad, which is how it usually looks in the summer).
So...Is there anything making you particularly happy of late?