While I still haven’t roasted a chicken, regularly committed to yoga or learned to sew, I have pretty much completely eschewed plastic bags and paper towels (which frankly I thought would be the biggest challenge on the list), I’m a total rock star about taking my vitamins and we take the girlies to the Nasher, and the Dallas Museum of Art regularly. Let's call it about a 50% success rate, ok?
And in the “unplanned” column, in 2009 I managed to start a food blog, write my first ever published article and start a little online shop….all totally unplanned and unexpected at the beginning of the year.
So this year I've decided to create "squishy" resolutions, to focus on creating space for more of those unexpected things to just...well... happen. More time for dreaming, for playing, for imagining. To steal from my friend Molly, I'm going to take time for the magic, and to go back to something that continues to be on my mind, to be a more “mellow” parent.
Now here's where I get a bit lazy. Rather than drum up a whole new list solely for the sake of originality, I've decided to modify some of the goals from last year that still feel relevant (many pulled from this list) to become my 2010 resolutions -- my mantra or mission statement if you will.
- Buy less stuff and, when I do buy, save up for things I truly love.
- Eat out less and cook more good, local, whole food.
- Say "yes" to more new experiences and "no" to more things I feel like I have to do.
- Support (ideally local) businesses and organizations we believe in (the arts, education, farmer’s markets)
- Spend even more time ingraining in the girlies the value of service, creativity, imagination and kindness, emphasizing how lucky we are and how quickly life can change…
Now if squishy goals aren’t your thing and you want to see 13 more tangible things I’d like to do this year, take a peek at my other list over on Mother Huddle. It includes such aspirations as painting my nails red and buying tennis shoes (because I currently don’t own any.) Pretty exciting stuff!
So what do you have planned for the coming year? Goals….resolutions…Do share, I’d love to hear!