I think Audrey and I will attempt to make these this weekend – we’re all about apples lately. I love the use of smaller apples perfect for kid sized hands, the little twig sticks and the fall leaves they’re propped on…Oh Martha.
Ingredients -- Makes 12
- 12 lady apples, washed and stemmed
- 2 cups hazelnuts, toasted, peeled, and chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Insert a 5-inch dowel or ice pop stick into the top of each apple. Place hazelnuts in a small bowl.
- Place sugar, corn syrup, cream, and butter in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue cooking until the temperature registers 245 degrees.on a candy thermometer, 10 to 12 minutes. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Remove saucepan from heat, and briefly plunge it into ice water to stop the cooking. Dip one apple into the caramel, coat the top and sides using a spoon, and roll the bottom in the nuts. Transfer to a serving platter. Repeat with the remaining apples.